Thursday, July 11, 2013

Throwback Thursday (with some FREEBIES) & Booktalk Thursday


Linking up with Cara at First Grade Parade for Throwback Thursday as well as Andrea at Reading Toward the Stars for Booktalk Thursday...


Throwback Thursday

First, I want to share TWO throwbacks related to math.  The reason I am sharing both is because I know so many of you are preparing for the coming year, and these are two things you might want to prep. These two math tools also go hand in hand...  One post comes from August 2, 2012 and the other from September 2, 2012.  For us, Cara's throwback linky idea is great because it allows us to share ideas from when we were not quite "active" with our blogging--a time when we had very few followers.  Hope you find both of these throwbacks useful. Each comes with a freebie download!

*****Originally Posted August 2, 2012*****

Place Value Strips & Arrows: Math Tool #1 to Support the Common Core -- FREEBIE!

If you have not used place value strips or arrows, I highly recommend them! I have used place value strips in past years with my second and fifth graders, and I was introduced to the arrows in a recent workshop.  Place value strips and arrows help students see the value of digits within numbers.  Numbers can be composed by stacking the arrows, and numbers can be decomposed to reveal the value of each digit. They can also be used when learning to compare and order numbers. The possibilities are many! Can you see the numbers in expanded form?




Below is a larger version of the strips and arrows that can be used for teacher demonstration.


Here's the best part...

I recently made teacher demonstration and student-sized place value arrows, and I have listed them for FREE on Teachers Pay Teachers!  Download, print, laminate, cut, and bag. Viola! 

*****Originally Posted September 2, 2012*****

Place Value Disks: Math Tool #3 to Support the Common Core -- FREEBIE!

What are place value disks? Place value disks are a tool that students can use to represent numbers and much more!  They are intended to be used when students have a sound understanding of the value of each disk.  Unlike base ten tools, the value is not visible in units.  Although, place value disks can be used when working with numbers to the millions.  Just visit Teachers Pay Teachers to download place value disks to one thousand.  Included in this freebie are printable place value disks, directions for making foam disks (like those sold on the market today), and SmartBoard place value disks.  My last year's second graders (and my fifth graders in previous years) benefited greatly from using this math tool which helped them visualize the value of the digits within numbers and "see" operations.



Strengthen the connection between concrete and number representations when used along with place value arrows. Stop back next Sunday to download Math Tool #4 for the Common Core -- FREEBIE!

Booktalk Thursday

The book I would like to share is also related to a previous post.  It is a book that not many people I know have heard of, but it is a wonderful story for kids.  Click on the following two links to learn about Agate by Joy Morgan Dey, a book that I discovered while vacationing last summer... 



Thanks so much to Cara and Andrea for the opportunity to link up! Please visit First Grade Parade and Reading Toward the Stars to learn more...

Thanks for flying by!

6 comments:

  1. I love that game! I'm totally bookmarking that!!!!

    24/7 Teacher: Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete
  2. A student gave me the book Agate for his end of the year gift along with two agates. I hadn't heard of it either, but it is a great story!
    Sara
    Polka Dot Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agate is a new book title for me. It looks really cute!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! So much, in fact that I nominated it for the Liebster Award! Head over to my blog to check out the details! :)

    Kayla
    www.topdogteaching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for linking up! The Agate book looks like a wonderful book for all students to hear!

    Thanks for sharing a wonderful book!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete