Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Traits Tuesday - Must Have Trait Resources


It's week two of Traits Tuesday---Must Have Traits Resources!




A few years ago I started researching some resources to use in my classroom to help me teach the 6 traits of writing during Writer's Workshop. I came across some great ones that I would like to share with you:)

6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide For Primary Grades by Ruth Culham does an amazing job of helping teachers implement the traits. Included in this book are mentor texts you can use when teaching each trait, and scoring guides that are kid-friendly.

6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide for the Primary Grades
This website is full of resources, lessons, and mentor texts that teachers can use when teaching the traits. I love this site. It does a lot of the "thinking work" for me. I just look for the trait I am teaching, find some lessons, and, boom, done!  




A couple of years ago I made the switch from fifth to second grade.  I had a lot of experience teaching Writer's Workshop infusing the traits with older students---SO this year I set a goal to begin focusing on traits in the the Writer's Workshop setting with my second graders.

One resource that was extremely helpful when I taught fifth grade was Ralph Fletcher and JoAnn Portalupi's Craft Lessons: Teaching Writing K-8, so I recently began to look at this resource again--specifically the K-2 section.  This is a MUST HAVE for any teacher of writing. To learn about the second edition of Craft Lessons, visit Ralph Fletcher's website. For a substantial peek into this resource, click the cover below.


The "traits" of writing are not specific to one program.  An author's writing is strengthened through word choice and sentence fluency.  An author's voice "speaks" to us.  Organization is always important as a writer conveys his/her ideas, and so on. SO please feel free to share the resources you use to help develop/strengthen any of these areas--ideas, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, conventions, voice, and presentation.

We look forward to learning about the writing resources you are using! Simply save our button and use it to link back to us in your post.


Have a wonderful week!

2 comments:

  1. I love the writing fix website. I found it a few years ago. I recommend it to everyone I can!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to link up, but it says it's closed.... ?

    ReplyDelete