Friday, September 6, 2013

Fabulous Finds Friday {September 6, 2013}


It's Fabulous Finds Friday, and we have a couple finds to share!



Animal Staplers

I found some fun staplers at Old Navy, of all places! I will be putting these cute little staplers in my writing center area.  Priced right at $2 each!



Putting the Practices Into Action

This summer I blogged about how I was revisiting some of my professional resource books for math, and I shared a Now I Get It by Susan O'Connell. At the time, I had just discovered a brand-new resource---Putting the Practices Into Action: Implementing the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice (K-8) by Susan O'Connell and John SanGiovanni.  I had just ordered the resources from Heinemann, but I had not yet received it...  Well, it was a fabulous find! 


About the Book: It's important when thinking about the Common Core Standards that there are two important parts--the CCSS Content Standards and the eight CCSS Standards for Mathematical Practice.  There is a huge difference between the two.  The content standards provide just that, content--they are not intended to tell a teacher HOW to teach.  On the other hand, the practice standards are intended to guide a teacher in developing ways of teaching that take students far beyond proficiency in a particular content area but rather help them develop as thinkers. Each of the eight Standards for Mathematical Practice are thoroughly and thoughtfully addressed in a way that helps the reader first understand the standard.  Then the authors help the reader understand "how they can get there" by providing ideas/strategies as well as student samples.  

This professional resource does not disappoint!  Take a peek by visiting Heinemann's website.

Thanks for flying on over! Link up your fabulous finds by grabbing our button above and linking up below... :0)


3 comments:

  1. I love the staplers! Old Navy is about five minutes away from me. I'll keep an eye out for them.

    Thank you, and have a great weekend!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just started following you two a while ago, but have to say, I love all of the professional books that you refer to. I only teach literacy (right now), but find our reading tastes to be very similar! Thanks for these great resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come they never have those cute things at the Old Navy by my house??? Love those staplers!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete