Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Art of Tessellation


As part of our second grade ocean theme, my students created a school of fish tessellation.  This is the second year I have done this with students, and the display turns out wonderfully.  What I like best about this art project is that each fish is unique, just like my students, yet they fit together perfectly in a school, a metaphor for how we stick together throughout the school year.  Our bulletin board also educates viewers about the meaning of tessellation and the artist, M.C. Escher. This would be a great beginning of the year art project and bulletin board display as well. 


To download directions for making a fish tessellation template, visit Art Projects for Kids.  I traced the template for students to cut out.  Cutting carefully is key!  Then each student used tempera paints to create his/her tropical fish.  Finally, a giant googly eye was added. 




To create the bulletin board display, simply staple the fish together to form a tessellation.  The bubbles you see were made from the excess lamin at the end and edges of lamination jobs. Tip: Place a stack of heavy books on top of fish once dried (before hanging), as they like to curl up.


With the art of tessellation, the possibilities are many! Happy creating!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the fish tessellations! How creative! I just had to Pin it so I would remember this! SO glad you won something on my blog giveaway! Can't wait to read more.
    Gina
    Beach Sand and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina--

      Thank you for the kind words, Gina! Tessellations are also great fun to do in a Paint program with older students. My former fifth graders loved it! They titled their work when they were finished (depending on what their tessellation looked like in their minds). Such masterpieces!

      All the best--
      Sarah

      Delete